Who can Register ?
To be eligible to register you must be of Ngāti Whātua descent and affiliate to any of the 33 Ngāti Whātua Marae.
Uri of Ngāti Whātua aged 18 years and over will be eligible:
- To vote in the triennial trustees elections
- To be notified of important issues and decisions affecting Ngāti Whātua
- To receive information of benefits that you may be entitled to e.g. education grants
- To input and participate in the affairs of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua.
Registering with Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua.
You will be required to fill out a secure online form that will ask a series of questions for us to ascertain your affiliation to Ngāti Whātua. Your information will be verified and processed by Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua.
Alternatively, you can request a form from our office, and we can post it to you. Please ensure that you provide all the information requested on the application form and that you have verification from your primary marae of your whakapapa.
Click here for a printable copy in Word format or in PDF format which you can complete and return to
- Application received by Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua. If the applicant has not provided all the information requested on the form, the application will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
- If all information has been provided, the application will be processed, and the member added to the iwi roll.
- All successful applicants will be notified as soon as a decision on membership has been made.
Note: As an alternative to obtaining verification of your whakapapa from your primary marae, you can approach your takiwā representative on the Rūnanga board for endorsement.
You should notify us of any changes to your contact or family (children) details so that your registration records can be updated. Ph: (+64) 9 470 0720
If you have any enquiries, please contact us at or call (+64) 9 470 0720