Are you a seasoned Finance and Risk leader looking for your next challenge?
Fantastic opportunity to make a difference by partnering with senior leaders. Fully flexible working culture and work/life balance in the beautiful Kaipara
Kaipara is a haven for families, and we want you to experience everything this beautiful slice of Northland has to offer. From its stretches of white sandy beaches and surf breaks, secret fishing spots, native forests, and rolling green pastures, to its cafes, markets, and open traffic-free roads – you’ll be joining a buzzing yet laid-back community. Kaipara strikes the perfect balance between natural splendor and convenient access to both Auckland and Whangarei.
What we offer
We offer competitive remuneration, a flexible, supportive, and inclusive culture, and health and well-being initiatives, including regular well-being challenges. There is free fruit and espresso in our offices, career development, and a fantastic supportive executive leadership team. We are passionate about making a difference in our community, they are at the heart of everything we do.
This role can be based at either our Dargaville or Mangawhai offices with travel across the district to attend meetings. However, we are fully tech-enabled and welcome hybrid working arrangements that ensure great work-life balance and flexibility for our people.
We are looking for a Senior Finance and Risk Manager to lead the Finance team, ensuring the integrity of the Council’s financial management processes. You will ensure robust financial planning and policy development is in place, coordinating the financial reporting requirements for the Annual Plan, Long Term Plan, and Annual Report. You will lead the corporate risk management framework for Council, and manage the reporting and escalation of risk to GM Sustainable Growth and Investment, the executive team, and council committees.
This is a pivotal role in Council where you will partner with the business to ensure the finance and risk functions add value, providing analysis and recommendations to support decision-making and enhance overall business performance and achievement of our work programs and strategic objectives.
The key responsibilities are
- Treasury management – manage the Councils investment and borrowing portfolios and evaluate, recommend and implement investment, borrowing, and hedging strategies that support Councils strategic direction
- Financial planning and reporting – Annual Plan, Long Term Plan, and Annual Reports, financial reporting of the formal public documents, lead the annual audit and aiding the GM Sustainable Growth and Investment in the development of the Development Contributions Policy and Financial Strategy for the LTP
- Financial accounting systems and processes – monthly/quarterly reporting ensuring Councils systems and processes are maintained, monitored and reviewed (general ledger, payroll, accounts payable and receivable)
- Reporting to Council – reporting to relevant committees and Council ensuring all facts provided to support decision making
- Risk Management – lead, advise and manage tasks on the Councils corporate risk register, and development of a Business Continuity Plan for Finance.
- Policy Development – provide financial and accounting policy advice to Council, and review policies to ensure streamlined and recommend changes to Council Leadership – effective strategic and people leadership, embedding Councils values and providing employees with motivational and clear direction and coaching regarding performance
You are a qualified Chartered Accountant who brings a passion for Corporate Risk Management and proven leadership and team management skills, with a visible and flexible style and the ability to effectively motivate and inspire your team to grow their capabilities. It goes without saying that you have a strong technical background and a solid understanding of all things financial. You will be a true business partner demonstrating strong collaboration and communication skills along with fine-tuned analytical insight to inform your effective decisions. Most importantly you are a strategic leader who can personify the Council’s values and embed them throughout the business.
About Kaipara District Council (KDC)
Our business is to create a thriving community, where people love to live, work, and play. We pride ourselves on making a positive difference and we nurture our people and place by inspiring a vibrant healthy and caring environment and a diverse and inclusive culture. Our mahi is underpinned by our values of mahi tahi (teamwork), mana (integrity), pono (being trustworthy), whakaute (respect) and mahia te mahi (make it happen).
How to apply
If you’re looking for your next challenge with an organisation that makes a difference in your community, then apply now! Please refer to the job description for more information.
To view the job description and apply for this job go to: kaiparadc.recruitmenthub.co.nz/Vacancies & enter ref code: 6155537.
Applications close 28 November 2022